2016 started with one booked wedding. When you work in an industry that revolves around engagements, there really is no telling or scheduling a whole year by January 31st!
This has definitely been the best year yet! My goals in regards to photographing weddings were simple:
1. Get everything in order: From pricing, to beautiful/professional and informational guides, to be better at bookkeeping and investing in education. Brides should be able to trust that their wedding photographer is taking their wedding day seriously! That means that not only will they show up, they must have reliable gear, extensive experience with posing/lighting and run they business in a legitimate way. Yes that implies a higher fee but again, your wedding happens once and photographs are the only mementos you'll have 1, 10 or 50 yrs from now.
2. Encourage brides to plan their day around what they like and who they are! Trends come and go so I wanted to make sure that my couples would look back on their wedding photographs and say " Yes! That was so us! That screams us!"
3. Promote more than just a wedding. The actual wedding day is beautiful, exciting and filled with love! Loved ones are gathered to celebrate the union of two people. I want more than anything to help as much as I can to offer support for their marriage. One that will last forever. Having beautiful pictures to look at is a good start.
In working hard on those goals two surprises came about!
1. It was the first year that I've photographed 2nd marriages. In terms of awesomeness and planning they weren't different per say. But for me, again, what did I say about being the one on the receiving end? What an unexpected and healing opportunity it has been for me. I don't think that my #lobleebride s will ever truly know just how much hope and joy they have given me. What an unique opportunity to document love and being able to see updates on their growing families, a new home, a new job or even a new pet!
2. I got to travel SO much! Weddings took place in Oregon, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Hawaii and Spain! Again, SO much! When I started my photography career, I would see all those photographers "raving" about their destination weddings. That honestly never ever appealed to me because 1. I used to get horribly sick. Any type of motion? I was sick. So traveling even by plane never sounded glamarous haha. Yet it seems that I have FINALLY gotten over that. What a crazy yet incredibly blessing! 2. I still have little ones at home so being away was not easy. But I've had incredibly support from my family and I know that when I do have to be gone they are in good hands. In fact, they have so much fun they'd probably tell you I should be gone more often. Haha. Since their father is now in the same state, they get to have even more fun and be well taken care of for the coming year.
So. Again! What a great year! I can not wait for 2017. I can feel it. I know it. I believe it. It will be an even better one.
Thank you again for a wonderful year!